Having a balanced and healthy lifestyle is something that most desire. As easy as it is to register for a fitness class, cooking is another story. It’s not always easy to find a tasty, nutritious, hassle-free and affordable meal.
Low in calories, lentils should be your best friends by now. They help in reducing cholesterol, your risk of heart disease, stabilizing blood sugar levels and preventing digestive disorders. Need more convincing? They also have a high level of protein and increase energy due to their fiber and complex carbohydrates.
This recipe is tasty, super easy, and won’t break your wallet. Although we made the dahl with salmon, you could try it with no fish; it will still be super nutritious.
PREPARATION 5 min
COOKING 35 min
100 g (1/2 cup) green lentils
2 cups water
Salt and pepper, to taste
5 g (1 tablespoons) butter
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, freshly chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
200 ml (1/2 can) coconut milk
½ handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
100 g salmon cut in cubes
1. Rinse and drain the lentils. Pour water in a pot and add the lentils. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Season and set aside.
2. In a pan, melt the butter and cook the onion for 3–4 minutes or until soft.
3. Season and add ginger, garlic, and 1 tablespoon of curry powder. Cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Add the lime juice and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula. Transfer the mixture to the pot with the lentils and add the remaining ingredients, apart from the cilantro.
5. Add the salmon along with 1 tablespoon of curry. Mix slowly with the wooden spatula so the curry doesn’t stay on the surface. Simmer for 15 minutes, adjust the seasoning, and serve with cilantro.